Few months back we moved
to a new country with lots of excitement, hope and anticipation. Thrill of
discovering a new life was relentless. Within month of moving excitement faded away. Waking up
every morning to realize there is no work to attend and day would begin and end
confined in these four walls , I started feeling worthless and
depressed. My state of mind was affecting my family and though they were there
to provide support but I knew only one person can pull me out of this
depression and that was me myself.
I soon realized its all
state of mind and that I can utilize this ample time at my disposal to enrich
my life. I made few choices which pulled me out of depression. I don’t say that
I have reached a state of nirvana where nothing bothers me now but bouts of
feeling blue are few and far and I know how to alter that state quickly.
Practice meditation: I have been a restless person but I found inner peace by practicing meditation. You can start
meditating simply by focusing on your breath or any mantra. Do it for 10-15
minutes, you might not be able to enjoy or concentrate in your first attempt
but I am sure it would reduce your stress and clear your mind of any
negativity.
Pick up a hobby: We have been busy in grind of work, family and kids but now is the
time to bake those scrumptious cakes, pick up those paints and color your
world, write those poems which are locked in your heart, dance to your hearts
tune, read those books which have been calling you on your every visit to
bookstore and Library or capture the moments and new surroundings in your photographs which
you can cherish forever. Possibilities are endless just follow your heart.
Travel to new places: People pay to travel to explore International
locations so utilize this time to explore the country over holidays, weekends,
and evenings. Nothing can be more fun than having a good fun filled vacation
with your loved ones.
Join Volunteer work: There are ample opportunities of volunteer
work in community institutions like YMCA, Local library or find out options for
volunteer work in your child’s school and I am sure it would be double delight
for you and them.
Live More, Laugh More: These are one of those rare precious times when
there’s no pressure of meeting deadlines or reporting to overbearing boss. Enjoy these sweet moments of
life to fullest by giving your unconditional love, support and companionship to
your spouse to further strengthen your relationship.
Go back to college: If you are the academic kinds you can go back
to college and pursue further education and for not so academic kinds like me
do not worry there are lots of hobby courses to choose from.
Make new friends: Sounds cliché but it stands true having
someone to talk to makes the whole lot of difference. Learn about their
culture, exchange stories while bonding over some exotic food and it is sure to
bring some lively flavors in your life which would stay with you forever.
Liberate yourself
from all mental inhibitions and negativity.Take charge of your life and utilize
this time to explore a new you. Fly High.

No comments:
Post a Comment